A Travellerspoint blog

July 2012

Vietnam – Hoi An

Shopaholics Anonymous

sunny 40 °C

Vietnams most picturesque city, Hoi An´s old town has kept its traditional buildings, small lanes and tailor shops. After coming through a few of the big cities, this change to a nice small more peaceful city was great. And to make things even better for the 3 girls, shopping is cheap and everywhere. Mateo and I on the other hand didn’t quite have the same enthusiasm for the shopping.

We had an overnight sleeper bus taking us up to Hoi An and as we were now in our group of 5, we were given the back row beds which was a cosy setup for the nights sleep. There ended up being people sleeping on the floor in the aisles and everything, so at least we had a bed each.


The streets are very nice to walk around and after having some breakfast down by the river, the girls stopped to look in a shop. Mateo and I said we would go and sort out our bus tickets for the following trips and meet the girls back at the hotel in 15 minutes. 2 and a half hours later we had had a snooze and showered by the time that it seemed the 3 girls had visited every shop in Hoi An and made a number of purchases of tailored dresses to be made over the next day or two.

IMG_5028a.jpg IMG_2752ab.jpg

For the afternoon we once again hired some motorbikes with Tanya taking her own one this time. We headed out to the coast and north to a small set of rocky hills called the Marble Mountains. The ride out was nice, and the breeze on the motorbikes was a welcome relief from the heat! The Marble Mountains had a lot of Buddha images and temples that we took a while walking through and having a bit of fun here and there.

IMG_5034a.jpg IMG_5035a.jpg IMG_5039a.jpg
We found out that Mateo is actually a ghost in the form of an Italian body

IMG_5050a.jpg P1040478.jpg
The view from the Marble Mountains

IMG_5070a.jpg IMG_5087a.jpg IMG_5090a.jpg

On the way back to Hoi An we stopped at the local beach which was jam packed with local people enjoying the balmy evening and slightly cooler water. We sat on a mat and ordered a round of drinks and played cards for a while as an awesome sunset played out before our eyes.


Back in Hoi An we walked around the streets as they were full of colour and light with all the shops showing their stock. It really is a beautiful little city Hoi An. We had some good food and drinks before retreating back to our air conditioned hotel rooms for some more cards and drinks


The following day the girls went to check on the progress of their recent purchases before we hired some pushbikes to ride around the old town with. We crossed the river and managed to keep at it for about 30minutes before the heat became too unbearable. From this part of Vietnam and further north, the weather isn’t wet and dry season, but rather a traditional northern hemisphere 4 seasons. So we were in the height of summer with 40 degree temperatures. Mateo and I called a day on the bike riding at that point and sought the comfort of ice cold beers for the sum total of 4000 dong each ($0.20) while the girls took the opportunity of not having us around to do some more shopping and hunting out the local markets. A win win situation really, apart from the budget of course.

1IMG_2864ab.jpg IMG_2870ab.jpg

We cycled back out to the beach again to spend the afternoon before coming back into town and doing some more exploring under the cooler conditions of the night. The colonial architecture that has been preserved really does make it an enjoyable city to walk around and get photos.

IMG_5180a.jpg IMG_5191a.jpg IMG_5221a.jpg

We had an early morning bus pick us up from our hotel and take us a few hours north to the city of Hue where we had another bus that night to Hanoi. We had about 5 hours to spare in Hue so walked over the river to the citadel that used to be the home of the emperor Nguyen. It wasn’t spectacular but gave us something to do for a few hours before the next bus journey

IMG_5230a.jpg IMG_5239a.jpg IMG_5265a.jpg

Daniel – Probably the prettiest city we have seen in Asia since Pingyao in China. Still with old buildings and traditional shops, you have to stop here on any tour of Vietnam. Although watch out if you have female company with room to spare in their bags...

Tanya – The city had that oldie worldly charm and the countless tailors, shoemakers etc that made it even more special. Luckily with 20c beers, we could find room in the budget (plus room in my backpack) for a few additional purchases.

Posted by dbgomes 00:58 Archived in Vietnam Tagged vietnam round_the_world Comments (0)

Vietnam – Central Beaches

Flying kites and slippery slides

sunny 35 °C

Leaving Ho Chi Minh on a sleeper bus for the 6 hours or so up to Mui Ne, it was the same type that we had in China, with rows of forward facing seats come beds. We had booked our bus ticket as an open ended ticket all the way to Hanoi, so we just booked a bus as we wanted. We drove along the coast prior to arriving in Mui Ne and my first thoughts were, I hope I can do some kiteboarding.

Tan and I had booked a hotel that we saw online at a good price which also had a roof top pool. A little bit of luxury is always welcome when it only costs a dollar or two more. Mateo and Tuli booked themselves into a guesthouse near the beach a few places down from us. We all met up on the beach after getting checked in and as I had read, there are lots of kiting places along the beach but there wasn’t a single kite out on the beach given it is not the right season, and the midday wind was pitiful. I spoke to an English bloke who ran one of the schools and he said that as it was offseason, the wind is very unreliable and without the wind we can’t do anything. The best thing he could do was take a contact number for me and if the conditions are good the following day he will let me know. Ever since seeing the kiteboarders in Mancora in Peru I wanted to learn while on this trip as it would be cheaper than doing it back in Perth, but given the prognosis, I basically resigned myself to missing out.


For the afternoon we hired our favourite form of transport and rode to the outskirts of the city where there were some sand dunes to see. Tanya and I were hoping it would be something like we saw at Ica in Peru. The ride out was really nice as the road stuck close to the coast. When we got out to the dunes, they were not quite as impressive as we hoped, and it looked like they were being mined with big pits dug into them. We did find a spot that was not impacted from the activities and waited for the sun to set, but there were some ominous clouds to the west which obscured any colour in the sky.


On the way back into town, we stopped at some basic looking food places that served fresh seafood. It turned out to be a great move, as the seafood was fresh, big, tasty and best of all, dirt cheap! Normally it’s pretty difficult to get completely full on seafood given it usually comes in small quantities, but Tuli, Mateo and I shared a huge spread of seafood including scallops, clams, mussels, squid, prawns and cuttlefish that set us back a mere $7.50 each. The same spread in Europe or Australia would have easily broke $25 each! The heavens opened just in time for our ride back to the hotel and by the time we get there we may have well swam back we were like drowned rats.


In the morning, I looked out the window of the hotel and there looked to be a bit of movement in the trees below, but I hadn’t heard anything from the kite school. Just as we were about to head out the door, a message came though that said it looks like we were on. Down at the beach, the bloke said that I must be the good luck charm as there hadn’t been any good wind for a week. I started off on the small learner kite that gets you used to flying the kite and holding it in position. The wind was not really strong but it was clean and cross onshore being perfect for learning. I went through the kite setup on the big kites and then got harnessed up to start flying the proper kites. I mastered the big kite on the beach which requires a balance between the power and steering to hold the kite in place with the gusting wind. Just as we went to get ready for moving into the water and body dragging, there was a noticeable drop in the wind and it changed direction as a big black storm cloud rolled over the horizon. That brought my afternoon of kiting to an end, but it certainly won’t be the last time as I will definitely finish off learning in Australia and add a kite and board to my shopping list for once I am employed again :-)

IMG_4673a.jpg IMG_4675a.jpg

It was time for another BBQ seafood feast (except Tanya with her allergy to seafood) at a nice restaurant near our hotel and the following morning Tan and I enjoyed the benefits of having a pool in the hotel before we got our bus North to Nha Trang


Getting into Nha Trang in the early evening we found a local guesthouse for our few days in town. We booked a tour visiting the Islands off the coast for the morning and went out for our third seafood banquet in as many days. This time even including some really good oysters along with everything else.

We were picked up from our guesthouse in the morning and arriving at the crazy boat port we had a funny feeling that this island tour was not going to be like we expected. There were countless amounts of boats all being filled up with big tour groups. We sat on the front row of our boat as it filled up and then the boat cranked its music to maximum volume and our guide for the day started to do a bit of a strip show on the bow of the boat!

Boatloads of waiting tourists

Our guides slightly disturbing pre-trip show.

With a full complement of passengers we pulled out from the docks but over half of the boat were Vietnamese on their weekend vacations. We got the usual speak about what we were going to do and all that before we arrived at the first island. We went for a swim to start off with. The boat had snorkels and masks but they were pretty average and the coral was less than impressive. For the next three hours we sat in the same spot first having our lunch, then joining up with 3 other boats to make a floating bar followed by singing, dancing and partying. From what we can gather this is what the Vietnamese like to do on their excursions as everyone from all 3 boats were really getting into it and having a great time. We are always up for a good time, but we had paid to come and see some islands and so far we had seen jack!

P1040313.jpg P1040315.jpg
We all had to get up and sing a song from our different countries, Mateo was a crowd pleaser.

IMG_4729a.jpg IMG_4710a.jpg
The floating barman who was also the drummer in the band


We finally moved onto the second island where we got off the boat and paid our $1 entry fee for a crowded little strip of sandy beach. We escaped that pretty quickly to have a walk up the hill above the beach.


We soon moved on while all the local tourists were enjoying their parasailing which had a very dodgy looking takeoff procedure from the beach above all the people swimming. The final island had an aquarium that the Lonely Planet said was alright, so we went in to see. It was ok, but i think you see better coral and fish just by going snorkelling down in Thailand and Indonesia than in the tanks here. We were soon back on the boat heading to the docks at the end of the days excursion feeling like we had seen very little of the islands that we wanted to see and much more Vietnamese partying. Ohh well, it was pretty funny at times!


We got ready to go out for some dinner when we got back and Mateo and Tuli discovered that someone had stolen some money from their bags during the day. It was clearly the cleaner and she had been smart about it as she only took 1 million dong and $10US ($60 equivalent all up) obviously hoping that they wouldn’t realise the money was missing until a few days time once they left Nha Trang. We didn’t get much help from the hotel or police when we confronted them so left it for the time being.

That morning Valentina (who we spent time with in Cambodia and Laos) had arrived into town so we had organised that the 5 or us would go to the water and amusement park over at Vinpearl Island. The idea of a water park in Vietnam sounds like it might be a little lame, but I had some friends tell me that it was actually a good day out. The ticket was US$25 each but that included the cable car ride over to the island and everything except food. We got to the line for the cable car at around 10:30, just half an hour after opening time. There was a pretty long line which didn’t bode well for the rides over on the island but it moved quickly enough.

See the excitement in our faces for a day at a water park!!

It turned out to be a really fun day as we all enjoyed being able to be big kids again. The water slides were actually pretty impressive, and for all of the morning it was really quiet and we never had to wait in line for a slide. We really enjoyed one of the slides where we went down in a big tube that sat all 5 of us going pretty fast, flinging us high up on the walls of the big slide. We had a break at lunch and rested on the beach before having a final blast through the water park in the afternoon before it shut around 5pm.

The Tsunami Slide was also a favourite for the day with single, double and triple tubes allowed


After leaving the water park we dried off while waiting in line for the toboggan. Certainly a lot of the Vietnamese tourists preferred the dry rides over the water rides as we experienced the pushing and shoving of the Asian queuing system. The ride was really fun though once we got on it. We had a go on most of the other rides as it got dark then we called it a day and got the cable car back over to the mainland for dinner.


The following morning we hired some more motorbikes and headed about 50kms out of town to a waterfall. We had hired 3 bikes between the 5 of us, but given Valentina was riding a bike for the first time, the crowded city streets were not the ideal place to learn. A slight fall later and we returned one of the bikes and headed out to the waterfalls Asian style with 3 on one bike and 2 on the other. The drive took us on some nice stretch of road by the coast before getting onto the craziness of the highway.

Our rather inappropriate USA helmets

IMG_4999a.jpg IMG_4950a.jpg

At the waterfall we walked up the rocks until we got to one of the many swimming spots in the river for a refreshing swim in the cool river water. We stayed there for a couple of hours swimming and exploring before heading back to the city. On the ride back we stopped in at a very small fishing village to try to find somewhere to eat. As it was not touristy at all we had to look pretty hard but finally found some traditional rice porridge bowls and roadside noodles.

IMG_4984a.jpg IMG_4965a.jpg
An interesting climb up the river

IMG_4955a.jpg IMG_4981a.jpg
Tuli’s meditation is so good that she can float on top of water

Monumental blowout!


We had another good meal this time at a Japanese sushi place before a rather late night with beers, pool and dancing.

The girls mean business when they get their pool gloves on.


In the morning we had a problem checking out of the hotel regarding the stolen money and trying to overcharge us for our rooms on top of it all. We left and the guy at the hotel then told us that he was going to phone the bus company and get them to steal our laptops from the bus that night!!! Needless to say that we all left bad reviews for this hotel on trip advisor!! If you are in Nha Trang, do yourself a favour and don’t stay at Thien Thanh Blue Sky Hotel.

Daniel – In months of travel where you go between temples, ruins, cities and hikes it was really good to just be able to go and have fun at Vinpearl and not worry about having to get out and see another sight! A fun few days with our little group of 5 amigos. Oh and the seafood... A-MAZ-ING

TanyaMot, hai, ba, YO! Well we learned one thing that we will take away from the ‘island’ tour – just say ‘1, 2, 3, cheers’ in Vietnamese and the locals will 'love you long time’.

Posted by dbgomes 09:36 Archived in Vietnam Tagged vietnam round_the_world Comments (0)

Vietnam – Ho Chi Minh City

The artist formerly known as Saigon

sunny 36 °C

It’s had a new name since 1975, but it’s also got a lot of modern history. Ho Chi Minh City also has about 10million people with a further 7 million motorbikes calling it home!! Trying to cross the road, it feels like all 7million are crossing that very intersection as you put your life on the line.

When we arrived into what was clearly the backpacker part of town, we got in contact with Mateo and Tuli who we did the Komodo Boat trip with in Indonesia. We had figured we would be in Vietnam around the same time as each other so we organised to meet up for dinner and drinks that night. We had a good catch up on what we had been up to for the last month and plenty of funny stories to hear. Our time for Vietnam is identical and had the same places in mind to visit so we decided that we may as well stick together as we work our way up the country!

The other two had a tour out to the Mekong Delta set for the following day so Tanya and I decided just to have a look around the city. We started off walking up to the reunification palace. Starting off as the palace for the French governors, it then turned into the palace for the presidents of the South Vietnamese governments following independence. During the Vietnam war, the Americans set up state of the art telecommunications and war rooms in the subterranean basement of the palace.


We were shown around on a free tour of the palace. The interesting thing about the palace is that it has been kept as it was when the North Vietnamese stormed the palace to bring an end to the Vietnam War in 1975. The stately palace rooms and underground control centre complete with war maps and communications equipment was interesting enough for the morning and it was the first time we picked up an anti-American sentiment with the way the guide spoke about the war. The gambling room was particularly 70´s looking which made us laugh.

IMG_4500a.jpg 1IMG_4506.jpg IMG_4516a.jpg
Proclaiming the spot where a bomb landed in the taking of Saigon


It was raining as we left and walked past the two tanks that crashed through the fence in 1975 to unify the country. Next destination was the War Remnants Museum. This used to be called the Museum of American War Crimes until Bill Clinton normalised relations with Vietnam. Although walking around the museum the old intent is still apparent. Tanya wasn’t too worried about going to the museum so she sat at a coffee shop while I went to visit.

There are tanks and aircraft that were left over from the war sitting outside, and the multi story museum in the middle. Now I didn’t actually know much about the political situation of Vietnam War so I found it really informative. Although you need to realise that what you are reading needs to be taken with a little pinch of salt. As the saying goes, history is written by the victors. For example, one part of the museum is reconstructed into the prisons of South Vietnam before the war for holding suspected communist North Vietnamese. The signs when you walk in this part highlight that the torture methods were carried out by the South Vietnamese but also make sure to continually remind the reader that it was while the American government was supporting the South. There is no doubting that this kind of inhumane treatment should never happen, but maybe I’m cynical to think that the North Vietnamese prisons wouldn’t have been holiday homes for the South Vietnamese prisoners that they took.


In case you are also from generations post the Vietnam War and need a little history update, Vietnam first gained independence from being a French colony in 1954. At this point communism and democracy set up in the North and South with the American government fearing the spread of communism they supported the south leading many to view the South Vietnamese government as just a puppet government for America. A gurilla force known as the National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam (Viet Cong) started to attack the south attempting to Liberate the South to join the North. As the South started losing through poor government and military against the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese Army, the US got deeper and deeper involved with full scale war until public and diplomatic opinion turned so much that the US withdrew leaving the South Vietnamese army to be overrun by the North.

One thing that the museum gives a lot of information about is the use of chemical warfare by the US during the war. Another thing that I wasn’t really aware of, but the extensive use of Agent Orange devastated the country. The chemicals in Agent orange are some of the strongest known to man and when these chemicals were spread all over the country it turned the lush countryside into barren wasteland so that the US could cut the supply lines all over the country. The worst part of the chemical agent is the lasting effects that it has had. Genetic deformities have been spread into the Vietnamese generations and even US military personnel. A big law suit was won by servicemen who spread Agent Orange but as a letter says in the museum, How can the man who dropped Agent Orange from his feet be compensated, while the millions of Vietnamese who had it rain on their heads be given no recognition. I certainly felt that using chemical warfare against what was in many ways just guerrilla armies was way over the top and warranted the international condemnation that it received then and still now!

‘To the people of United Vietnam, I was wrong, I am sorry’


So after a slightly propagandist education lesson, I met back with Tanya and went back to the guesthouse via a walk through the park. Lots of people were out for the afternoon plying badminton, throwing balls and kicking around the shuttlecock type thing that we saw lots of in China. Vietnam definitely has more of a Chinese feel about it compared to the rest of South East Asia with the people, food and mannerisms being similar to their Northern cousins.


Later on we met up with Tuli and Mateo again ready to have some cheap Beer Hoi (street beer from as little as 15 cents per beer) before the European Cup Final between Italy and Spain that night. Being Italians, they both couldn’t miss it and i will usually take any excuse to stay up till 4am to watch a football match. We met a Danish bloke to share the beer hoi with and then went onto a bar to watch the game. Unfortunately the game wasn’t such a good result for our Italian friends and Mateo couldn’t even mention football for a few days to follow

Full of hope and expectation through the National Anthem

In the morning we made a trip out to the Cu Chi tunnels. This was a vast network of tunnels that the VietCong used to fight against the US Army for years. After a 4am finish for the football, an 8am wakeup was hard, but at least the bus trip to the tunnels gave us another hour to catch up. Now I need to point out that I know that I have claustrophobic tendencies. Ever since I saw the movie Aliens when I was young, the part where Bishop crawls through the air vent to the relay station gave me nightmares of being stuck in that pipe, not the Aliens! So I was not so sure if i could get myself down into the tunnels. Only one way to find out!

The tourist area is part of what was a massive complex of tunnels that stretched 120kms to the Cambodian border allowing the Vietcong and North Vietnamese to plan their offensive around Saigon. We were first shown around the above ground areas of the tunnels where the escape hatches were hidden, air vents disguised as termite mounds and some traps hidden. The overriding thing that came through was how incredibly resourceful and smart the Vietnamese were. Wearing their shoes backwards so that the enemy couldn’t work out where they were going, to putting chilli powder round the air vent holes to cover the scent from the army dogs. At the escape hatch we had the opportunity to hop in the hidden hole for a photo. I took the chance to overcome any irrational fears

IMG_4556a.jpg IMG_4558a.jpg
An example booby trap complete with poisoned bamboo spikes

An original unwidened tunnel


A stop at the firing range where plenty of people had paid to shoot Vietnam War era weapons made us realise how much louder a gun battle is in real life compared to what you see in movies when people hold audible conversations with each other. We were then shown how rice paper was made before being taken down to crawl through 100meters of westernised (widened for us plumper westerners) tunnels. At this point all I wanted was to make sure I was the first person through so that I wasn’t boxed in by anyone which would have freaked me out I think. There were exits every 20 meters just in case, but I managed to make it to the end following the guide. Tan, and Mateo crawled through the last 20meters and Tuli could only bring herself to get into the doorway for a photo. I could completely sympathise with her!

IMG_4584a.jpg IMG_4589a.jpg

At the end of 100 meters I was sweating crazily from the humidity down in the tunnels. I was relieved to stand upright coming out the other side and 5 minutes was enough time for me down there. How the Vietnamese managed to live in the tunnels for years rarely coming above the surface is amazing! Even though the tunnels are wider than original, for us, it was an incredible way to experience life in the tunnels.


We headed back to the city and had an early night ready for a morning pickup to take us to the beaches further up the coast.

Daniel – I think I may have slightly overcome any fear of enclosed spaces. Only slightly though!!!

Tanya – An introduction to the Vietnamese tourist conveyor belt. The tunnels were very well done and made a great day out despite the shopping trip on the way and the charges you don’t usually see. If youre going to go, don’t pay the guide on the bus, demand to pay at the entrance and only pay for what you want (the tea at the end costs 30,000 VND) and we didn’t even get to see the full video, just the last 2 minutes which also cost 20,000 VND. Regardless, the tour was very very good.

Posted by dbgomes 11:18 Archived in Vietnam Tagged vietnam round_the_world Comments (0)

Cambodia – Sihanoukville

Playing Robinson Crusoe

storm 31 °C

Ahh, the beach again. Circling up through the highlands for the last few weeks has made us miss the relief that the sea can give you from the hot and humid weather! Sihanoukville is the premier beachside destination in Cambodia, although premier for Cambodia is very low key compared to Thailand and the destinations that most westerners are familiar with.

A relatively short bus ride of 6 hours or so got us into town and to a cheap guesthouse. $6 per night for a room for 2 people, that’s what i call value! We went out for a walk down the beachside and immediately bumped into Bastiaan and Eveline so sat down for a beer at one of the hundreds of beachside restaurants to enjoy some of the $0.50 beers. While we were there Valentina also joined us. We ended up having some really good BBQ food for dinner and more drinks for a few hours.


After spending a day just relaxing and enjoying the seaside, we booked for a night out at Kaoh Ta Kiev. We got picked up from our guesthouse in the morning and were taken for a 45min ride along the coast where a boat met us on a beach. There was one American girl who was also coming out for a few nights. The owner of the ‘Ten103 resort’ on the island had come from town with us so explained the setup out on the island. No electricity, just a few simple tree houses, hammocks, beach and water. Sounded perfect!

The sea was a bit rough today which is why we hadn’t caught a boat all the way from Sihanoukville, but it also meant that we couldn’t take the boat back to the resort. Instead we stopped in a calmer bay and then walked through the jungle and scrubland for a couple of kilometres. When we got to ‘Ten103’ it was as we were promised, very basic but perfect. Rustic seats and hammocks perfect for a few hours reading books while looking out to the other islands.

We bring the ice with us to the island


We decided to go out and explore our deserted island for the afternoon. We walked along the beach and was followed by the crazy puppy from Ten103. We found a nice bit of beach for a swim before heading back. The typical late afternoon thunderstorm came through and we took shelter in the ‘restaurant’ and had our dinner. When we read up about this place, lots of people said about the good food. It was true, despite being expensive (he has to get the stuff here and has not fridge or electricity to store stuff) and not having all the usual amenities, the owner cooked up some nice dinner for us and we even had fruit and chocolate fondue for desert! That’s the kind of island I’m sure Tom Hanks and Wilson would have liked to be washed up on.


We slept in hammocks which reminded us of a few experiences in South America, although it was a shame that the rain came through, because if it was looking like a clear night, we would have been able to string the hammocks up on the beach. We got the boat back the following morning. We could have maybe spent another night out there, but we were quite fortunate as heavy rain started while we were in the tuk tuk back to town and the rain stayed around all day long.


We headed back up to Phnom Penh after one more night in Sihnoukville where we picked up our passports complete with a new India visa in them. We saw a couple of interesting motorbikes driving around. They really are the vehicles for all occasions!

Five on a bike... A new record for us

Swine moto

Daniel – Deserted tropical islands, not a bad way to spend a few days while you wait for a visa to be processed!

Tanya – The rain held out long enough for us to get in some beach time and the island just topped it off. In this heat and humidity I had desperately missed the sea while we were exploring inland SE Asia!

Posted by dbgomes 10:35 Archived in Cambodia Tagged cambodia round_the_world Comments (0)

Cambodia – Phnom Penh

Capital of unbelievable suffering

For 3 years and 8 months from 17th April 1975, Cambodia went through the most radical social reformation known when Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge swept to power following years of civil war. Within days, Phnom Penh was a ghost town as everyone was taken to the countryside and forced to work the land. In those years unimaginable things occurred. Despite the terrible past, most Cambodians are the friendliest people you can meet with big smiles welcoming you. Phnom Penh is back to a bustling city now but there are places still here to remember what the Cambodians have been through to make sure it can never happen again.

Our bus ride from Siam Reap was fun as we played eye spy with a family of 5 from Victoria Australia. The 3 young boys were doing their homework and chatting with us about their trip and the funny things that they had seen. We shared a tuk tuk when we got to Phnom Penh and looked after their bags while they went to find somewhere to stay.

We had a relaxing first day in town as we recovered from the early morning and late nights of the last few days. We walked the streets around our guesthouse which was right near the riverside area and watched people go about their business.

IMG_4356a.jpg IMG_4359a.jpg

The following day was dedicated to visiting Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum and Choeung Ek (commonly known as The Killing Fields).

Pol Pot studied in Paris when he was young and developed his extreme Marxist ideas while there. He came back to Cambodia and led his party, The Khmer Rouge, to power. His idea was that the cities were full of capitalist greed so everyone from the cities were rounded up and moved out to the countryside to make the country and agricultural state 100% self sufficient for everything. The people were fed a morsel of rice water not near enough to support their 12 hours or more hard work in rice fields. Many from the city had no idea of how to farm and were punished for slow or incorrect work.

As with most dictators with radical ideas Pol Pot began to go crazy with fear of revolt, outsiders and his plan not working. So the Khmer Rouge started to prison, torture and kill anyone that they thought were against the regime. Even being a professor, wearing glasses or having soft hands implied that you were educated and posed a threat! The massive irony here is that all the leaders of the Khmer Rouge had gone to Europe to study and become educated.

S-21 was the prison name for what used to be a school in Phnom Penh. When the Khmer Rouge came to power they closed down all schools, colleges and universities turning most of them into prisons, stables and warehouses saying that education was of no importance. The school is now a museum to make sure that the atrocities that the Khmer Rouge carried out there are never forgotten.

The rules of terror

It’s not the nicest of places to visit on a holiday, but like when we visited Auschwitz in Poland, we feel that it’s important to acknowledge these acts of the past where humans can be so cruel to each other. Hopefully we can then try to stop this ever happening again.

The school had 4 blocks and Block A was where interrogations and torture were carried out. The remains of 14 people were found in the block when the Vietnamese liberated the city and in those particular rooms, the bedframes and shackles remain, usually with a picture on the wall of the room when it was found. Incredibly hard to look at and comprehend the suffering that happened in these buildings, it certainly tests your spirit!


Block B houses a lot of the information of the museum with face shots of prisoners when they were first brought to the prison. The fear and terror in their eyes speak more words than anyone can write down. The information in the museum was very informative with lots of detail about the leaders of the Khmer Rouge and the process of moving everyone to the countryside. It also gives details of the processes used in the prison which are too horrendous for us to put down in words. In the 3 year 9 month rule, an estimated 2 million people from a population of 8 million were killed. Killing that many of your own people is a concept that most people would find hard to contemplate!


Block C has been left as it was found and shows the cramped cells that were used to keep the prisoners. Wooden and brick cells no more than 1 meter by 2 meters were the ‘living’ quarters that each were afforded. The most striking thing that you first notice though is the barbed wire that enclosed the whole block making it impossible for the prisoners to throw themselves off the higher floors to end their misery.


There was some interesting information in the rest of the buildings with details of the international victims at the prison, including an Australian bloke from Perth which I was surprised to read about. There were also stories from the 7 survivors of the prison. A few stories of the survivor were similar in that they were picked up for some unbeknown reason while working in the countryside, endured suffering and at some point the guards found out that they were painters and were asked to paint pictures of Pol Pot and the other leaders. They only then survived and had their conditions improve because the higher officers were happy with their work.

There was also some more information on the leaders of the Khmer Rouge. Something I wasn’t aware of was that these leaders are only just now being tried for crimes against humanity, war crimes and genocide. They were removed from power in 1979, and are only just being brought to account for their actions from 2011!!!! Madness!!! Also they all seem to have a Cambodian lawyer defending them, but always have one or two other lawyers from America or Europe defending them. Honestly, I don’t know how someone could do this job. Sure you might be able to get them off or reduce their sentence due to some technicality, but you are defending the worst of the worst crimes possible!

So while that ended a mentally tough morning at the museum, it gave us a lot more appreciation of something that we knew little about before coming to Cambodia. The afternoon was no less harrowing though as we headed further out of the city to Choeung Ek.

Choeung Ek is a mass grave of victims, many of whom were firstly prisoners back at S21. In a bit of countryside out of earshot from nearby villages, the killing fields now house a memorial for the many who found their end there. There was a very good free audio guide that took us around the site and was really informative about the Khmer Rouge and history of the time. One fact that the audioguide gave us which we found amazing was that when the Khmer Rouge was overthrown by the Vietnamese liberators, the western world didn’t recognise the new government as the legitimate rulers. Therefore the Khmer Rouge represented Cambodia at the UN until 1993!!!

The estimations put the number of people killed and buried here at 17,000 (including many women and children). Bullets were expensive, so barbaric means were used and the people buried in the mass graves under the cover of darkness, noise and chemicals to hide the activities going on here. Since the fall of power, the annual monsoon rains have caused the graves to show as big depressions in the ground. Following the path around the mass graves was naturally a very sombre experience even though the site feels very peaceful now.


One of the most obvious reminders of the victims that you get while you walk around the site is actually right at your feet. Over time with heavy rains, the things that are in the ground get pushed to the surface so as you walk along the paths there are countless amounts of cloth and rags that you notice sticking out of the soil as well as occasional teeth and bone remains. Every month or so, the caretakers of the site go around to collect and document the remains. By far this was the most striking memory that I left the site with!

Some of the graves have been excavated and the remains of 4000 people are now housed in the monument that stands in the middle of the site. While it may sound strange to display the remains of victims like this, it is important as this is the evidence that is being used to bring the people responsible to justice. This way, they will not have died in vain!

IMG_4405a.jpg IMG_4410a.jpg

We headed back to the guesthouse reflecting on the tough day. The following day was Monday and we had our appointment at the India Embassy to submit our application for the visa. We got a midday bus down to the south coast to spend our time while our passports remained at the embassy for their 3 day processing time.

While maybe not as fun and upbeat as our other blog posts, I hope you managed to read this far. Phnom Penh has the tough history that makes you realise that humans are capable of doing terrible things to each other, but it now has the friendly smiles to show you that a soul of the people is even tougher

Daniel – There was one terrible slogan above all else that the Khmer Rouge had which sums up their atrocities.
‘Better to kill an innocent by mistake than to spare an enemy by mistake’

Tanya – A pretty tough history lesson!

Posted by dbgomes 09:33 Archived in Cambodia Tagged cambodia round_the_world Comments (0)

Cambodia – Angkor Wat

Wat a Birthday!!

semi-overcast 36 °C

For 500 years up until the 1300’s the Angkor civilisation was ruling this part of the world. They consolidated this rule with building many temples in the ancient capital. The Angkor past is so deeply woven into the Cambodian peoples psyche that Angkor Wat is on their flag, on their money, on the beer and the biggest historical drawcard in all of South East Asia.

We first had to cross another border and had heard that this particular crossing between Laos and Cambodia was notorious for needing many bribes to get across. Because of hearing this we opted to pay someone to do it for us. Back in 4000 Islands there is a bus company who takes you all the way to Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. Before getting to the border we filled out our departure cards from Laos, arrival card for Cambodia and Visa on Arrival form for Cambodia. We paid the $23US visa fee, $6US stamping fee, $2US no photo fee (Tanya didn’t have any photos so instead of making you get one, you just pay a penalty). When we got to the border, the bus guide took all our paperwork to the offices and we just got to sit on the bus and not have any hassles. The fee for having this done for us was a single $1US each. Easy!!

Some of the other people on the bus hopped off and did the whole thing by themselves. When they got back on the bus they all seemed to have paid more than us. Through paying ‘admin fees’, not having change and paying for the forms we definitely thought the $1 we paid was worth the easy crossing.

After that the bus ride was long but with headphones and some tunes on, we watched the Cambodian countryside slowly pass by. We actually decided to stop into Phnom Penh for a night to try and get our India visa sorted as we needed that still. Unfortunately when we arrived at the India embassy, we were told that you have to do an online application and then receive an interview date to submit the application. With no option to do it then and there, we cut our losses and headed up to Siem Reap.

Paul had stayed with us for the night in Phnom Penh too and the guesthouse there had got us a good rate at a place in Siem Reap. It had a pool too which was a welcome luxury in the heat. All for $8 per night for the room. When we got into town we organised with Niels and Valentina to meet up for dinner. We went to ‘Pub Street’ which as the name suggests is completely overrun with westerners but Siem Ream has been a big travel destination for long time so it comes with the popularity. Dinner was great as we also met Bastiaan and Eveline over a nice Cambodian BBQ of crocodile, snake, frogs, shrimps and beef. It was a BBQ where you cook your meat yourself on a stove contraption on the table. Most of us went for the BBQ option which was a 2 person share deal so the table was full of sizzling BBQs and broths.

IMG_3917a.jpg IMG_3924a.jpg
Are these frogs on steroids???

We didn’t stay out too long, as the following morning it was a 4:30am wakeup for our tuk tuk to take us out to the temples for sunrise over Angkor Wat. Siem Reap is about 20minutes away from the temples so when we arrived at Angkor the sky was just starting to show a bit of light on the horizon. Buying a $1 coffee secured us a mat to sit on by the lake and we enjoyed the temple slowly revealing itself to us.


Today was also Tanya’s birthday, so we had timed it perfect for a good way to spend her birthday, even with an early wakeup. There was a lot of cloud unfortunately so we didn’t get much colour in the sky. It was worth the early start though to have our first impressions of the Angkor Wat like this.

The crowds had gathered – you don’t get this place to yourself, even at 5am


Angkor Wat is just one temple that sits in the ancient city so Paul, Tan and I had hired a tuk tuk driver for the day to take us around the massive site that has lots more temples than just Angkor Wat. As the crowds were still relatively small, we decided to head to Ta Prohm as this was going to be the most popular site that we would visit for the day. This temple is commonly called the Tomb Raider temple as Lara Croft was here in the form of Angelina Jolie when they filmed the tomb raider movie here. All the other temples in Angkor have been restored and conserved, but the curators decided to keep Ta Prohm in as authentic state as possible to show what the whole of Angkor was like when it was discovered by early western travellers.

That there is the reason why we probably enjoyed Ta Prohm the most out of everything we saw in our time at Angkor. There was not another person in the temple when we first got there and so we could just walk around in between the giant strangler figs and silk-cotton trees that make the stones of the temples their home. It really feels like you are stumbling across the place for the first time. We could crawl through little gaps in stones and just explore. The trees and temple are woven into one amazing picture!

IMG_4005a.jpg IMG_4016a.jpg IMG_4022a.jpg
IMG_4031a.jpg IMG_4035a.jpg IMG_4053a.jpg
IMG_4060a.jpg IMG_4063a.jpg IMG_4071a.jpg
IMG_4067a.jpg IMG_4079a.jpg
Notice the dinosaur... How did they know about dinosaurs?


Next stop was Ta Keo. After Ta Prohm this one didn’t seem that great, although it was interesting to note in the guide book that it said that this pyramid temple was never completed. As is the case with lots of temples over the world, every time a new king or ruler comes to power they start with building their own temple to be a lasting memory of them. If one of them only lasts a short time, the next ruler doesn’t have any problem stopping work on the predecessor’s temple and starting his own.

IMG_4086a.jpg IMG_4092a.jpg IMG_4098a.jpg

After an early start, we decided to do one more temple and then call it a day. This time it was Banteay Kdei which was quite a long complex of temples and halls. The tuk tuk dropped us at one end and we walked all the way through and met him at the other side. There were lots of images in the walls and columns here. It was pretty quiet so we started to get a few photos of us in different ways than just the usual ‘stood in front of something’ pose.

IMG_4103a.jpg IMG_4107a.jpg
IMG_4110a.jpg IMG_4112a.jpg
IMG_4119a.jpg IMG_4123a.jpg
IMG_4125a.jpg IMG_4131a.jpg
IMG_4134a.jpg IMG_4144a.jpg IMG_4148a.jpg

We bumped into everyone from the restaurant again so organised to meet up in town later to have a few drinks and dinner for Tanya’s birthday then went back to our guesthouse for a few hours sleep so that we could stay awake later on.

Out at Pub Street we met up with everyone and had another good dinner and cheap drinks. One good thing that lots of tourists does is it usually pushes up the quality of the food as everyone fights for the tourist dollar. After dinner we were feeling the effect of the early morning, but managed to party the night away with Niels, Paul and Valentina in the few pubs down Pub Street.


The temples of Angkor are far too extensive to cover off in 1 day, so we had planned to visit for a second day to see the bigger Angkor Thom and Angkor Wat. We wanted to head out around 10am, but hangover s and a sluggish start meant we headed off after midday. It was really warm when we got out to Angkor Thom but it didn’t stop us enjoying the Bayon temple. This was built for King Jayavarman VII and has 216 faces in the spires of the temple.

IMG_4182a.jpg IMG_4193a.jpg
IMG_4187a.jpg IMG_4184a.jpg IMG_4179a.jpg
IMG_4205a.jpg IMG_4212a.jpg

We walked a bit further up the road and to the Baphuon temple which is on a big mound of earth. There were some pictures showing what condition it was in back in the 1970’s. It hardly resembled what it is like now in its reconstructed form.

IMG_4217a.jpg IMG_4220a.jpg
IMG_4228a.jpg IMG_4233a.jpg

The heat was getting a bit much so we walked through the shade of the elephant terrace and stopped for a drink and some lunch before heading over to Angkor Wat to finish off the day.

IMG_4241a.jpg IMG_4246a.jpg
IMG_4253a.jpg IMG_4265a.jpg
Leaving Angkor Thom

Angkor Wat is definitely impressive with the whole site of the temple and outer walls surrounded by a large moat. The temple was lit up nicely in the afternoon sun and we wandered around just taking in ‘The 8th Wonder of the World’.

IMG_4276a.jpg IMG_4282a.jpg IMG_4292a.jpg
IMG_4307a.jpg IMG_4309a.jpg
IMG_4320a.jpg IMG_4327a.jpg
IMG_4337a.jpg IMG_4338a.jpg IMG_4344a.jpg

That was it for the temples for us, we could have used our free 3rd day entry and seen more of the many temples are in the area, but we had a visa appointment at the India embassy on the Monday so had to make it back to Phnom Penh for that. What we had seen over two days had impressed us from the smaller temples right up to the big finale at Angkor Wat.

Daniel – You can’t come to South East Asia without visiting Angkor. Everyone knows that Europeans have rich history in their buildings, but at the same time that European churches and palaces were being built, there was just as much going on in this part of the world.

Tanya – We have seen so many temples, wats etc but none the less, the temples at Angkor Wat were incredibly impressive. It was difficult walking around in the midday heat, the complex is huge but a very rewarding excursion.

Posted by dbgomes 02:52 Archived in Cambodia Tagged cambodia round_the_world Comments (1)

(Entries 1 - 6 of 6) Page [1]